Saturday, October 30, 2004

Election day

I was reviewing the sample ballot in the newspaper today. I know, I should have been paying attention much earlier in the political season, but I finally got around to it, and was actually surprised to learn that there is only one contested county commission race in Dare County this time around. In my opinion it is a slam dunk for the incumbent, so that means no change at all in the board for next season with the exception of Mac coming back on representing Hatteras. I guess you could say that means "Politics as usual". I was reading the profiles of the two candidates running against each other, and I could not tell a whole lot of difference in either. What did strike me is that they both are FOR everything! Sometimes that means being on both sides of the fence. Not a very good way to get anything accomplished in my opinion.
There will be some tough issues coming up in the next couple of years. Beach nourishment, population increases, re-evaluation of property values for taxation, "affordable" housing, new schools, traffic concerns. It should be interesting to watch this board at work and see if they can indeed stay on both sides of the fence. There is no making everyone happy!

No comments: