Tuesday, September 13, 2005

It's gonna fish!

It is still calm and dry here in Manteo and on the northern Outer Banks this evening. There is just a thin layer of high clouds moving in at present. The 5 pm track takes the storm still further to the right and curves it sooner than before. So it is my prediction that this one will fish-- go out to sea without touching land. That's a big ya-hoo from me!
The potential for sound side flooding could have been very great had the storm stayed on that track taking it slowly up the Pamlico sound. In history books, I had read about storms of the olden days which produced storm surges from the INSIDE of the banks, pushing water over the banks into the ocean as the eye passed.
I personally have survived one particular "storm surge" hurricane which put quite a few feet of water into the town of Manteo in a big hurry, actually washing cars off the highways!!!! I was not anxious to see that again.
But today, I saw only one store on the entire length of the beach boarded up. The locals, in my opinion, are not taking this one seriously at all, and by that I mean, most of us believe that we have seen far worse many times and this one is a wimp! I personally did a little prep but not much. Mainly just stuff I needed to do anyway before winter.
I like the excitement of storms. I have always been fascinated by the weather, and its power. But this one just didn't do it for me. I'm glad it is fishing!

No comments: