Monday, September 19, 2005

Old Timers Stories

Now that the immediate threat of storms has died away, I wanted to share an experience with you. Last week, while we were under hurricane warning from Ophelia, we went to my in-laws to check on them in Kitty Hawk village. We spent the morning sitting around the kitchen table listening to the old folks tell stories of hurricanes past. I love hearing all these old stories, and wish I could record them all before they pass on. Their memories are valuable.

My mom in law related her memories of one of the hurricanes of 1933. She was ten years old at the time and the family was living in the residence located at the Kitty Hawk Coast Guard Station. Her father was a chief boatswain mate at the time in the Coast Guard. Being so isolated from the rest of the world out here on the Outer Banks at the time, they had no knowledge that a hurricane was even brewing, much less aimed directly at them. Usually the older members of the family "read" the sky, the water, and relied on the "glass" to tell them when the weather was declining. The "glass" was a barometer. On this day in the fall of 1933, the glass was dropping rapidly and the father began to prepare his family for storm conditions. It seemed to be a particularly bad storm headed toward them.

In reviewing the historical data available on the internet today, I see that two hurricanes made direct hits on the Outer Banks, both with 105-110 mph winds. My mom in law couldn't remember exactly if this was the August storm or the September storm, but it makes little difference. She said when the waves began to break on top of the dunes, then they departed for a safer location further west in Kitty Hawk Village. At the time this residence and station were quite a good ways back from the ocean, so the waves must have been very big. The workshop of this residence still stands today in its original location near the Kitty Hawk intersection. The year of 1933 was a very bad year for hurricane prone areas. I believe to date it is the only year which comes close in numbers of storms to the one we are currently experiencing.

By the year of 1936, the family had saved up their pennies and had invested in a new fangled RCA radio. They could receive a few AM stations. Everyday at noon, they gathered around the dinner table to listen to the weather broadcast. On this summer day in 1936, they learned that a hurricane of great proportions was headed toward them as reported by ships at sea. This time they had time to prepare and leave well before the storm.

My father in law asked me if we were on information overload. I thought about this a minute and agreed that yes, we sure do have the best and finest resources at our disposal today in this age of instant information. And maybe, sometimes we do receive TOO much information, but I believe everyone agreed their lives are much improved with advanced warnings. After all, they now call me to find out "What does the internet say about the storm now?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to hear the old storys too! I bought a book while I was there about the Ash Wednesday Storm. I really enjoy those history books. I think the thing that draws me to the banks is the history of the area.

Anonymous said...

GREAT STORY K!!! :)... I always love to sit back and listen to the "old timer stories".. we actually made a tape of my grandmother telling her stories--glad we did that.. :) -HG

Anonymous said...

GET THOSE ORAL HISTORIES NOW! Don't wait. I remember bits and pieces of stories about my great grandparents, grandparents, my father and his siblings all living and growing up in Elizabeth City...but unfortunately the details got lost. Now, after digging into my genealogy, I really wish I had all those stories and history to pass on to the next generation. SO ACT NOW!